Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Big Omega and General Statements

    This week we wrapped up the Big O session with Big Omega proofs and general Big O statements. The Big Omega proofs are very similar to the Big O proofs. The way I remind myself is this: if I am trying to prove that g(n) <= c*f(n), I will have to manipulate g(n) into a similar expression, say g’(n), that is greater than g(n). This way if g’(n) <= c*f(n), the statement will be true. By the same logic, for f(n), I will have to find a f’(n) that is smaller. Every time I start a proof, I go through this process to see what I am trying to find. This extra process helps me a lot, since I will not have to memorize the steps and possibly get confused by Big O and Big Omega. In terms of general statements of the Big O, I find that it is crucial to understand the relationships between the variables and to utilize the definition of the Big O. This dictates what examples to pick when proving a statement (ie. max, multiplication). 

2 comments:

  1. How come your post date is December 18? Overall, your SLOG was interesting, but it sometimes confused me. Good luck with your final exam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops don't know what happened. Thanks and good luck to you too!

      Delete